NJ501 Machine Automation Controller ( MAC)
The flagship of Omron’s controller lineup is the Sysmac NJ501 Machine Automation Controller (MAC); a completely redesigned hardware platform with a powerful Intel® Atom™ processor, proven for harsh environments. This fundamental shift from a rigid ASIC based architecture allows the NJ-Series to be adaptable and scalable. This ultra-compact market leading technology provides ultimate flexibility without compromising reliability and robustness that the industry has come to expect from Omron.
Omron Automation’s NJ5 controller now comes standard with OPC UA server functionality.
OPC UA is an industrial communication protocol that enables data exchange between machines and from machine to IT systems. This international standard is well linked to Industrie 4.0 and also serves as a basis for the packaging standard PackML. Since the adoption of this open standard is increasing worldwide, Omron Automation is implementing this as a standard feature on our Sysmac controllers, starting with the NJ5.
Key benefits to customers include:
- Ease of communication from plant floor machines to IT Systems.
- Data security through encryption and authentication.
- Reliable and widely adopted standard available on a machine controller eliminating the need for middleware PCs and simplifying IIOT implementation projects.
The NJ Robotics controller is the core of the system architecture which uses the EtherCAT bus to provide the highest motion performance for demanding packaging applications.
The controller is able to control up to 8 robots by providing independent or synchronized movements with the others motion devices installed in the machine, such as single servo axis or group of axes.
The integration of the NJ-Robotics controller with the G5 servo systems allows you to achieve the maximum throughput in your Pick & Place applications by taking all the advantages provided by and the kinematics structure of the Delta robots.
The synchronization with multiple conveyors can be realized very easily by using specific commands which have been specially developed to optimize the cycle time of the Pick & Place applications that use Delta robots.
In addition to the standard NJ functions, the Robotics CPU provides a set of specific function blocks to control multiple delta robots machine. The system allows to define the kinematics parameters to control any kind of Delta-3 robot, with or without rotational axis, and you can even create dedicated user coordinate systems to simplify the programming. The performance of the Pick & Place trajectories and any related synchronization with the conveyors can be optimized thanks to smart time-based motion commands developed specifically to match the widest through-put needs.
- Integrated Delta Robot control
- Control of up to 8 Delta robots in 2 ms/ 4 Delta robots in 1 ms
- Conveyor tracking function
- Automatic workspace check
NJ Machine Automation Controller with SQL Client Functionality
The SQL version of the NJ Machine Automation Controller allows for direct access to SQL databases via the built-in EtherNet/IP port.
- Ideal for reliable data logging and quality control traceability
- Insert, Update, and Select to/from SQL databases
- Supports Oracle and Microsoft SQL database servers
- No additional software, hardware or middleware required
- Access up to three databases on three servers from a single NJ controller
- Automatically logs SQL commands and responses to local SD memory card
- Local data spooling if connection is lost to SQL database server
Dedicated Hardware Solution with Motion, EtherCAT, and SECS/GEM Communication for Semiconductor Industry
The Semiconductor version of the NJ Machine Automation Controller allows for direct communication to the Host PC
- Single controller for motion, networks, and communication with Semiconductor systems
- Eliminates points of failure in gateway PC and specialized software for High-Speed SECS Message Services (HSMS)
- Supports Ethernet, TCP/IP, E37 HSMS-SS, E5 SECS II, and E30 GEM protocol layers
- Event Notification and Alarm Management Functions
- Includes SECS/GEM log viewer for debug and maintenance
- Embedded EtherCAT for realtime I/O, motion, vision, and safety
- Cost-effective, the SECS/GEM CPU Unit integrates machine control and host communications,reducing time, cost, and complexity to establish SECS/GEM communications.
- Simple connection, no separate computer, special communications Unit or software required
- Save space in equipment Direct connection of CPU Unit to host
- No annual support contract Reducing the running costs
The NJ-Series hardware has been designed to adapt to the quickly changing demands of a machine automation controller. A typical system built around an application specific integrated circuit (ASIC) can be difficult to change and enhance. The NJ-Series uses the proven Intel® Atom™ processor to allow real-time improvements to the core of the system. This adaptability virtually guarantees a future-proof system that can lead today’s automation technology and trends.
- Unmatched CPU performance
- Advanced embedded motion
- Unique application solutions
Accurate and Precise
Because Omron developed every aspect of the control core, run-time is predictable and reliable with no instability caused from third party code or software. With this advantage, NJ-Series functions can be accurately and precisely predicted for real world operation. The NJ501 comes in 16, 32, and 64-axis models, with features such as CAM profile simulations that provide not only position data, but additionally velocity, acceleration, and jerk. These give a detailed prediction of how the machine motion will actually perform. Only Omron can deliver such an efficient controller, ensuring your application will behave as desired.
- Logic simulation
- Motion simulation
- Reliable operation
Motion, Logic, and Vision in ONE
With a powerful processor comes multiple systems integrated into one controller. Providing advanced motion control with proven machine logic in one unit gives your machine the ultimate advantage. The NJ-Series seamlessly combines two prominent application requirements to reduce hardware and development cost. Handshaking and other intermediate steps needed with multiple systems that create overhead, inefficiency, and delay are all eliminated while functionality and performance are increased. Tying in vision via the built-in EtherCAT interface, configured from the same software environment as the logic and motion, makes the solution unprecedented. All logic, motion, I/O, and vision response refreshing are all executed in the same control period. This enables precise sequence and motion control, in-sync with machine vision, all within a fixed period with minimal deviation.
- One Controller: Tightly integrated logic, motion, and vision without sacrificing performance
- One Software: Integrated Development Environment for logic, motion, and vision
- One Connection: Single connection point into every aspect of the machine
Robust Hardware Design
Building on Omron’s reputation for quality and innovation, the NJ-Series is designed to be a solid performer in the class of machine automation controllers. All Omron hardware undergoes stringent industrial environment testing. Fan-less operation with efficient heat dissipation eliminates mechanical failure and extends the life of the system. Standard Ethernet and USB Ports provide familiar interfaces for connection and communication. An SD memory card slot integrated in the CPU provides a common media for data storage. Backwards compatibility is provided with most CJ type IO units for easy upgrade and a full range of available and existing unit types.
- Class leading industrial-grade unit with compact size
- Standard feature Ethernet/IP and EtherCAT Master ports
- Backward compatibility with existing Omron CJ type IO & units
Developed from years of experience, the NJ-Series combines the newest technology with the stability and reliability of traditional PLCs. Built upon the knowledge and success of previous controllers, the NJ-Series advances with improvements such as task scheduling, centralized error handling, synchronized control, and multitasking. The NJ-Series system provides the hardware reliability that you expect from a PLC with the flexibility and power of a machine automation controller.
Industry Standards and Global Conformance
The NJ-Series is based on standard IEC 61131-3 programming languages and structures. An extensive instruction set following IEC rules and PLCopen based motion control is provided. Hardware compliance with EMC and EC directives ensure your system will operate according to widely accepted regulations. Global standards conformance combined with Omron’s extensive worldwide support network allows your machine to comply with a variety of international markets without limitations.